The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd edition by Edward R. Tufte

The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd edition by Edward R. Tufte was a bit of a vitamin book; I'm glad I read it just because I know it'll be good for me. Taking vitamins isn't always the most exciting task either. After reading and truly enjoying Envisioning Information by Edward Tufte, it was a no-brainer that I needed to add another of his classic books to my collection. However, I did not find as much meat in the latter. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information did address the topic well; multiple examples of using graphic design to communicate huge amounts of data were offered, and I did particularly enjoy the section on sparklines. Overall, there were some great learnings throughout the book, with a major influence towards extracting the irrelevant to create the most powerful and influential communication of information.

No comments: